05 February 2010

Day 12

Day 12: Deviation
So I thought we'd deviate from the theme for a couple of shots.This is a spontaneous self-portrait taken yesterday morning in the middle of a cold, Old-Port bluster. I've always liked self-portraits taken indirectly, via reflection for instance. Or in shadow, etc. My college photo instructors weren't big fans of this approach. On the one hand they felt that it was meant to be a direct shot of self. On the otherhand, they didn't appreciate me trying to justify a shadow of myself caught accidentally in another project's shot as a "self-portrait".
Regardless...part of the reason I started taking pictures was because I don't particularly like being in front of the camera. So if I'm taking them, I don't have to be in them, right? So it only follows, I don't particularly care for direct, right-on, undistorted self-portraits.
Although, this is a long challenge. Maybe one will make its way up here sooner or later....

No comments: